The Future - Blog

     The Year is 2030, three days before Christmas. I am looking at bicycles on the internet to buy at my local electronic store to pick up. Everyone in town owns a bicycle and their own gym in their homes. There are several shapes I am able to choose with the click of a button. I choose a mountain bike model with larger tires. Next, the web page instructs me to customize the colors. It instructs me to click on different section of the bike to choose the color. I make the front half of the bike blue, the back half orange. I add some accessories such as an automatic kickstand, a digital "calories burned" monitor, and headlights as well as backlights. Next, I receive an email telling me to pick up my bicycle in 2 hours

    I get in my car and head to the store. I walk inside and the robot employee of the store brings me to the counter and removes an electronic bike from a massive 3d printer the size of a medium size closed. There are wires and robotic mechanisms inside all moving around. A computer is hooked to the machine with a 3d model of the bike I have purchased, similar to a photoshop layout. I scan my phone to pay for the bike and the robot says, "have a nice day sir." I leave the store and enjoy an evening bike ride. People in 2030 are extremely health conscious and fit. There are new viruses every season now which means that social distancing and online communication is the new norm. 

    I work at a film production company that shoots commercials for fitness brands. The crew members are all human, except for the actors who are robots, artificial intelligence that is especially programmed to replicate human emotion. robot actors save money on productions and can be verbally told a task that they will comply with. For example, "hey sam, grab the beer bottle and throw it against the wall, and angrily say god damnit." sam the robot will then throw the beer bottle against the wall. the robot will use the information and key words such as "angrily" to replicate the act of being angry. Sam grits his teeth and changes his facial expressions while shouting "god damnit!" robots use algorithms to complete tasks. They are the alarms that wake us up in the morning, or our smart devices that advertise specific products to us depending on our habits, so robots in 2030 do the same thing, except they are more advances and more responsive.

    

    

    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloodchild - Octavia Butler

The Female Man - Joanna Russ

The Martian - Andy Weir